Monday, April 4, 2011

Candybar Dessert Lounge


Friday, April 1, 2011

Marina and I went to Candybar for dessert after having dinner at Khan Toke Thai House.

Located on Fulton St at Divisadero St, the candlelit lounge is very easy to miss at night among all the bright signs of the surrounding nightlife. Candybar is known for its desserts, cocktails, art gallery, and of course, how could I forget?, board games.

I don't know what the atmosphere is like earlier in the day, but I was there around 11 pm and most of the tables were occupied. Although the candlelit lounge seemed to be the perfect setting for a romantic date, most people went with small groups of friends.

I personally prefer a brighter setting. I felt I couldn't take in my surroundings that well in the dimness. How can one admire art in the candlelight? I'll just have to come earlier next time.

The glass on the left is the Strawberry Kiss, which was a cocktail of sparkling wine, ginger ale, and a frozen strawberry. Of course, that was the one I had to get. The glass on the right is the Raspberry Delight, which was a mix of sparkling wine and raspberry syrup.

This was my first full drink so I thought the first few sips were too strong. But when paired with the desserts it tasted a lot better. The bottom of the drink was much fruitier, more to my liking.



Photo on the left is the Strawberry Limeade. According to the menu, it's made of strawberry mousse, vanilla cake, calamansi cream, and topped with chopped strawberries. I could definitely taste the hint of lime. Photo on the right is the Lavender Honey Creme Fraiche Semi Freddo. It consists of almond brittles, nutella powder, and cantaloupe. I've never had lavender flavored dessert before so it was definitely interesting.

As good as the desserts were, I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have if I weren't so full from dinner. Lesson learned for our next visit.

~ A


No comments:

Post a Comment